Thinking on the Boondocks.
Mr. DuBois, are you fully aware of the extent to which niggas love R. Kelly?
I've given that statement a lot of thought since I saw the second episode of the Boondocks Season 1 DVD set with my brother. And the more I mulled it over in my head, the more I heard myself making a similar statement about middle class white people and the pop-culture version of Christianity.
"Are you fully aware of the extent to which Fundamentalists love Left Behind?"
Aaron McGruder is my hero for the funny, but penetratingly true statements he makes about black culture, white culture, and the society in which the two worlds collide. I myself am not black, but a lot of his critique against ignorant peoples of his race I think apply equally to ignorant people of any sort of ethnicity, creed, or nationality. I don't know if that was his intention, but it seems to me that he has accomplished just that.
So many times as I have laughed my way through his television and comic strip series I have simultaneously investigated myself and stopped to consider my place in the fight for social justice, true freedom, equality, and other sorts of civil rights.
Often times I have merely thought myself as meek and quiet, being able to do nothing more than merely stand aside and not get in the way. Being white, I don't know what exactly to do without sounding like I'm trying to be politically correct (which I find to be a rather ineffectual tool white people have developed in trying to do something about the current social configuration).
On the other hand, I feel like what Aaron McGruder does with his comic and TV show is the sort of thing I want to do in the world of Christianity. Only rather than discuss the ramifications of the "nigga moment" or demonstrate the cruelty and callousness of American business, I would instead show the foolishness of Turn-or-Burn evangelism or reveal how cold and hateful the Dispensationalist view of Revelation really is.
Perhaps some day I will.
I am the spark that makes your idea bright, the same spark that lights the dark so you can know your left from your right.
I've given that statement a lot of thought since I saw the second episode of the Boondocks Season 1 DVD set with my brother. And the more I mulled it over in my head, the more I heard myself making a similar statement about middle class white people and the pop-culture version of Christianity.
"Are you fully aware of the extent to which Fundamentalists love Left Behind?"
Aaron McGruder is my hero for the funny, but penetratingly true statements he makes about black culture, white culture, and the society in which the two worlds collide. I myself am not black, but a lot of his critique against ignorant peoples of his race I think apply equally to ignorant people of any sort of ethnicity, creed, or nationality. I don't know if that was his intention, but it seems to me that he has accomplished just that.
So many times as I have laughed my way through his television and comic strip series I have simultaneously investigated myself and stopped to consider my place in the fight for social justice, true freedom, equality, and other sorts of civil rights.
Often times I have merely thought myself as meek and quiet, being able to do nothing more than merely stand aside and not get in the way. Being white, I don't know what exactly to do without sounding like I'm trying to be politically correct (which I find to be a rather ineffectual tool white people have developed in trying to do something about the current social configuration).
On the other hand, I feel like what Aaron McGruder does with his comic and TV show is the sort of thing I want to do in the world of Christianity. Only rather than discuss the ramifications of the "nigga moment" or demonstrate the cruelty and callousness of American business, I would instead show the foolishness of Turn-or-Burn evangelism or reveal how cold and hateful the Dispensationalist view of Revelation really is.
Perhaps some day I will.
I am the spark that makes your idea bright, the same spark that lights the dark so you can know your left from your right.

<< Home