Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Dungeon Crawl.

You step inside the dark corridor. The damp smell of mold meets your nostrils. The walls are rough stone. The corridor is 10 feet wide. What's the marching order?

My life recently has been an interesting assortment of events and happenstance. I have a broad spectrum of items on my agenda, and each item involves a different face. I use at least 5 times as many vocalized pauses in my speech because I'm trying to wrap my mind around several concepts while sifting from one face to the next. I can never nail down the appropriate response. I'm lagging.

Soon you come to a fork in the path. Roll a Spot check and a Listen check.

Taking in the world is difficult. I have a lot to remember and be aware of at my job: Bait stations must be cleaned, marked, and bait must be replaced. Rodent traps must be marked, wiped, lids snapped down tight, flush against the wall. I must also be wary of people who are on forklifts, machinery around me, razorwire (when I'm outside), and tractor trailers.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to plan my next path in life. I'm trying to be a published writer, get a teaching certification, pump up my resume, learn to invest my money.

A troop of patrolling Goblins meets you in a small room. Roll Initiative!

Conflict occurs as well. How to spend my time when I'm not working? I'm rarely in a position to see my girlfriend, I want to see friends in Macon, I need to write, I want to start looking at martial arts programs in my area, and who knows how many other things.

Conflict is hard. Mostly because I don't have time. I just plain don't have time.

The last goblin falls. If you like, you may loot the corpses.

As I overcome conflict, I'm gaining something from it. Strength of character. Patience. Discipline. Direction. Motivation. Drive. Experience. Of course, not all conflicts are so direct.

As you continue down the pathway, you come across a locked door.

Not all conflicts are as straightforward. Do I muscle my way through and just force my position onward? Do I try to defuse the situation? Do I simply go around and leave the puzzle unsolved?

At last you come upon the treasure chest. Inside it are jewels, coins, a sword, a shield, and a ring.

Eventually I'll get to the prize at the end of the road. The adventure will conclude, I'll have become better, and gained something worthwhile despite the risks. I'll gain new abilities, new insight, and maybe some material gain. I'll make friends, strengthen established friendships, and (hopefully) eliminate possibility to create enemies. It'll be fun.