Monday, April 09, 2007

Taking the Eucharist as a Catholic.

Since I started the RCIA classes (and even before that), most of you who knew that I wanted to join the Catholic church probably also knew that I wanted to join for mainly one thing: The Eucharist.

In the Catholic Church, it is believed that when the priest consecrates the bread and wine for the sacrament, that they literally become the body and blood of Christ--even though the elements still look like bread and wine. This is called Transubstantiation.

Every time I have been to Mass since that one time my senior year, I have noticed a change in the sanctuary when the priest consecrates the bread and wine. Something else appears in the room. It doesn't seep in slowly, but appears all at once. I always grew so excited during that time.

Saturday night I finally got to participate in the Eucharist. When I walked to the front of the sanctuary to take communion, it was everything I thought it would be, but it didn't happen the way I was expecting.

When I imagined what it would be like to take communion, I always expected the feeling inside to be large and sudden, but always good. It was good. I felt totally at peace and entirely without worry. I smiled a lot. But the feeling slipped in with the most intense inner quiet I have ever experienced. It felt very nearly like nothing. I was surprised at how natural it felt. Nothing about it was invasive or abrupt.

I enjoyed it. Thanks for understanding. I appreciate it.